Thursday, March 25, 2010

Going In

One of my favorite parts of teaching leadership through the Heifetz model is that I cannot pretend it's about getting disconnected concepts across to people. Sometimes as a teacher, especially at the college level, I can fall into the false belief that the students are to learn something from me. I am the holy vessel of knowledge and they are waiting to be filled. That's flattering, isn't it? Many times, the students themselves believe this old version of education too and then it's doubly tempting to believe it. What I not only love about teaching adaptively, but count on, is that the framework won't let the ego blindly accept this premise. The framework crashes up against my need to fill others with what I think they should know except at the most basic, foundational level. So, if I've had a hard week, not done enough planning, or have some other excuse for not being fully present with my class, I can only slip into the old paradigm for a few moments, not a semester. This doesn't come without cost to my ego, who loves to hear itself talk, but that is the point. This model of teaching teaches me, works on me at the same rate I allow it to work through me for my class. It is what keeps me coming back every semester to continue to do "the hard work of the soul."

2 comments:

  1. When people write or speak about thoughts like this I am always curious as to what triggered it. I ask Adam this almost daily. So I ask you, "What made you think/write about this?" Was their an event or person you ran into recently that made you say "I love adaptive leadership?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an ego? What an honest post, Linnette! I think we can sympathize with that feeling of being, desiring to be, or perceiving ourselves as being "all-knowing", so I applaud you for challenging yourself.

    ReplyDelete